The most spooktacular month of the year is here! If you love the dressing up, eating sweat treats and all things pumpkin spiced, we have found an array of fang-tastic Halloween activities for all the family in and around Swansea and the Brecon Beacons! So read on and ready yourself for a frightfully fun half term!
Pick Your Own Pumpkin
We love picking our own pumpkins each year and this memory making activity not only gets you out into the fresh autumn air, its perfect for every member of your family – including your four-legged friends – and prices start at only 50p; so you’re sure to find a soon-to-be jack-o-lantern, whatever your budget! And why not treat yourselves to a farm fresh glass of local milk or even a tasty milkshake as a post-pumpkin picking treat, available at the farm’s fun Milk Vending Shop!
- When: 16th October – 31st October | 9.30am – 4.30pm
- Where: Penyfodau Fawr Farm
- Pay per pumpkin (prices starting at 50p)
- Pram friendly field (weather permitting)
- Well behaved doggies are welcome on the picking field, remember to keep them on a lead and be mindful of the local farm animals (check out our blog on walking with your dog in the countryside here.)
Check them out on Facebook at www.facebook.com/penyfodaufawrfarmshop
Halloween Science Fun
For any awesomely curious science geeks out there, BBCs Gastronaut Stefan Gates presents two weird and wacky Halloween themed science shows at Swansea’s Waterfront Museum on Saturday 30th October 2021.
Filled with ridiculousness, family fun and safety goggles, the 1.30pm show, Weirdolgy, explores some of those burning science-y questions lurking at the backs of our curious brains. While at 3.30pm, Science of Sweets, dips into the sugary-science behind our lip-smackingly tasty Halloween treats.
- The shows are suitable for all ages and at £2.50 a ticket – which includes access to the whole museum too! – it’s a fab, affordable dose of family fun this Halloween.
- When: 30th October 2021 | 1.30pm & 3.30pm
- Where: Waterfront Museum Swansea
- Booking here:
Addams Family the Musical
Who better to spend some terror-ific family time with than the experts of Halloween, The Addams Family! This half term, from the 26th to the 30th October, Stage 8 Productions are presenting this wacky, musical comedy, at The Stage Y Llwyfan in Neath. Suitable for all the family, tickets for this spooky spectacular start at £14.06
- When: 26th – 30th October 2021 | 7pm (additional 2pm performance on Saturday 30th)
- Where: The Stage Y Llwyfan, Neath
- The theatre is only accessed by stairs and therefore is regrettably not suitable for wheelchair users or those with sever mobility issues.
- Booking essential: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/addams-family-the-musical-tickets-160630898341?aff=ebdssbdestsearch
Dinefwr After Dark
If you’re a brave soul looking for some excitement this Halloween, how about a frightful torchlight tour one of the National Trust’s most haunted houses – Newton House. This after dark fright night is not for the feint hearted and is recommended for those over 16-year-olds – and those that can hold their nerve! But don’t worry, there’s plenty of other day time activities at Dinefwr this half term for younger children (and those of us that scare easily!)
- When: From Friday 29th October | 6pm – 9pm
- Price: £12 per person
- More info: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/events/3675b044-aef6-48ea-a1a3-16989a8b6e3f/pages/details
Spooky Soap Making
How about some nice, clean, yet messy fun for your mischievous little rebels this half term? Pop on your spooky costumes and head down to The Haunted Treehouse at the Gower Heritage Centre – home to wonderfully wacky and wildly talented local artists. Suitable for 4 years and old, in this 90-minute family friendly workshop you will use ‘local sourced and eco-friendly witches’ snot’ and ‘bat wee’ to create your own magical spooky soap bars, to take home. (No Bats or Witches are harmed in this magical workshop!)
When: 26th – 29th October | 12pm
Where: The Haunted Treehouse, The Gower Heritage Centre
Price: £5 each.
Halloween Jungle Fun
Grow your imagination and explore the rainforest with an immersive and interactive jungle experience this half term. Fly your broomsticks down to Plantasia for some frightfully fun family adventures filled with jitters and critters and grisly tails.
And if you’re all feeling spook-tacularly brave, how about joining the critters after dark on All Hallows Eve night for some extra creepy crawly fun!
When: Jungle Jitters – 23rd – 31st Oct between 10am and 5pm | Plantasia After Dark – 31st October 5.30pm – 7.30pm
Where: Plantasia, Swansea
Halloween Pumpkin Trail
We’re going on a pumpkin hunt at Mumbles Pier this Halloween, and we’re not scared!
There are 12 pumpkins hidden throughout the pier, and if you can find all 12 you could win yourself a little Halloween treat! And once you’ve completed your pumpkin adventure, how about decorating a spooky Halloween cupcake, or taking in a spellbound performance of the local wizard’s magic show
- When: Pumpkin Hunt – 25th – 31st Oct | Cupcake Decorating – 26th – 27th Oct | Magic Show: 28th Oct
- Where: Mumbles Pier, Swansea
- Price: Free
- More Info: https://www.mumbles-pier.co.uk/whats-on/halloween-at-the-pier-2/